Sunday, September 17, 2006

Jim Webb: "Naval Academy Is a Horny Woman's Dream"

Jim Webb got caught with his pants down on this morning's Meet the Press. Asked about an offensive article he wrote for The Washingtonian in 1979, about women in the military, Webb repeatedly refused to acknowledge he'd made a mistake in publishing it. Well, he did admit this bit was wrong:

Russert: You said the Naval Academy is “a horny woman’s dream,” you regret that.

Webb: Well, I do regret that. You know I’ve said, there’s many pieces in this article that if I were a more mature individual I wouldn’t have written. And I’ve tried to say that, and I’ve tried to show by my conduct when I had positions in government, that I am open to assisting women to succeed in all the areas where that’s possible.


You try and you try to help the Democrats because there's no other option out there, but boy this is hard work. Where do we go from here in Virginia?

Update: MSNBC has the transcript. Here's the page with the "horny woman" quote and a rather patronizing comment about a female pilot who flew him around Afghanistan. There's another, more recent, quote from an article Webb wrote for The Weekly Standard, a neoconservative magazine (go figure), in 1997. Here's the ugly bottom line: Allen's racism will cost him very few votes among his likely voters. Webb's sexism will cost him dearly among his likely voters. We'd expect upcoming polls to reflect that.

No comments: